Two women who were already in trouble with the law found themselves before a magistrate once again with fresh charges stemming from a brawl that occurred in the East La Penitence lock-up.

The women, Revelana Smith, 25, of William Street, Kitty, Georgetown and Savita Persaud, 33, of Station Street, Kitty, Georgetown both appeared before Principal Magistrate Faith McGusty in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts. Smith was recently charged with attempted murder while Persaud was recently charged with human trafficking offences.

The fresh charge against Smith stated that, on April 23, 2019, at the East La Penitence Police Station, she unlawfully assaulted Persaud. In Persaud’s case, it was stated that, on the same day in question and at the same location, she unlawfully assaulted Smith. Both women pleaded guilty with explanation to the charges.

Persaud, who opted to give her explanation first, said, “I had just exited the washroom and I was in the process of putting on my clothes when Smith came up to me and began calling me a c***sucker and stink p*key and dealt me several punches to my face.”

The woman added that Smith threw her to the floor and bit her on several parts of her body and even attempted to bite off one of her fingers. She told the court that, in an attempt to defend herself, she scratched Smith in her face.

Smith, on the other hand, said, “She was my associate but she started to behave stupid because she sleeping with a big one at East La Penitence station. I simply asked her to call someone for me and she said no so, when the church service was over, I tried to talk to her and she punched me; that’s how the fight broke out.”

The magistrate, after listening to both sides, entered not guilty pleas for the defendants. While Police Prosecutor Seon Blackman did not disclose facts in the matter, he asked the court to not grant Smith bail on the grounds of the serious nature of the offence. He also told the court that Smith was previously charged and failed to show up to court.

The objections were upheld and Smith was refused bail and remanded to prison. Persaud was released on $20,000 bail and ordered to return to court on June 24, 2019.

Smith is currently before the court on an attempted murder charge after allegedly cut off a finger of a policewoman and dealt the woman several chops to her head and hand during a brawl over a man. Smith allegedly took a cutlass and began chopping the woman about her body.

Smith on her first court appearance was not required to plead to the indictable charge which stated that on March 26, 2019 at Pike Street, Kitty, Georgetown, she wounded Renetta Bharrat with the intent to murder her.

Meanwhile, Persaud, who is the owner of the Kitty-based Liquid Love Bar, is before the courts after being slapped with five offences in relation to human trafficking.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here