The case of businesswoman Maryann Daby, who is accused of attempting to kill a police rank by pointing a loaded gun to his head and pulling the trigger, has been further delayed after an officer who was scheduled to give evidence in the matter did not turn up until after the matter’s adjournment.

This morning when the matter was called before Magistrate Leron Daly, the court orderly called the name Superintendent Gary McAllister thrice and no one answered or appeared to the name.

This caused the court prosecutor to then ask the magistrate to issue an arrest warrant for the defendant. The prosecutor noted that the officer knew of the proceeding’s date and time.

Hence, Magistrate Daly issued an arrest warrant for McAllister and adjourned the matter until May 28, 2019 for continuation. However, McAllister subsequently showed up to court and the magistrate recalled the arrest warrant.

McAllister, who is stationed at the Brickdam Police Station, gave contradicting evidence the last time the matter was called, thereby causing the magistrate to adjourn the matter.

On May 2, 2019, McAllister told the court that he brought one evidence bag from Brickdam Police Station marked GM 35AD2018 with one .32 Beretta pistol marked daa535775 with a magazine, along with four live .32 ammunition and two .32 spent shells.

However, on May 15, 2019 when the Superintendent showed up to tender the evidence as part of the prosecution’s case, he told the court that he uplifted the evidence bag with a magazine, four live rounds, and two .22 spent shells. These articles varied from his testimony of May 2.

Maryann Daby, 25, of 127 D’Aguiar Park, Houston, Georgetown, was not required to plead to the charge which alleged that on May 13, 2018 at Albert Street, Thomas Lands, Georgetown, with the intent to commit murder, she attempted to discharge a firearm at Police Constable Christopher Kissoon.

It was also alleged that on May 13, 2018 at the same location, she had a .32 pistol in her possession when she was not the holder of a firearm licence enforced at the time.

It was further alleged that on the same day, she had six live rounds of .32 ammunition in her possession when she was not the holder of a firearm licence enforced at the time. She denied the latter two charges after they were read to her.

She is currently on trial in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

According to reports, on the day in question Daby and her friends were at the Guyana Motor Racing & Sports Club. Constable Kissoon, who was off-duty and at the Club at the time, reportedly heard what appeared to be gunshots going off.

While checking for the source of the gunfire, he reportedly saw Daby firing rounds into the air and, as a result, he confronted her.

Daby allegedly became annoyed and pointed a firearm to his head and pulled the trigger. Fortunately, there were no more rounds in the gun.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here