A Brazilian owner of a mining operation at Aranka Backdam was this afternoon charged for attempting to kill a police officer.

54-year-old Francisco Lima D’Aguiar of 75 Church Street, Bourda, was not required to plead to the indictable charge which stated that on May 26, 2019 at Aranka Backdam, Cuyuni River, Essequibo, with the intent to commit murder he discharged a firearm at Anthony Weekes, a police constable, who was acting in the execution of his duties.

The man’s lawyer Mark Waldron, in association with attorney-at-law Trenton Lake, told the court that his client is a citizen of Guyana and is the owner of a mining company.

The lawyer added that his client was not present when the alleged incident occurred. However, he nonetheless turned himself over to the police when he found out about the incident.

Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield strongly objected to bail being granted to the defendant on the grounds of the serious nature of the offence and the fact that a gun was used.

The prosecutor also told the court that there is no evidence of the defendant being a citizen of Guyana. He added that there is no fixed place of abode for the defendant.

Facts presented by Prosecutor Mansfield stated that on the day in question, police acting on information went to the defendant’s mining camp after receiving information that he had an illegal gun in his possession.

As a result of the information, the victim and other ranks went to the mining camp where they made contact with the accused.

They identified themselves but the accused, who had a handgun in his possession at the time, pointed the weapon at them. D’Aguiar then discharged four rounds at the officers. One bullet struck Weekes in the region of his chest and exited through his left arm.

The officers then retreated and took Weekes to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation where he was treated.

The magistrate, after listening to both sides, said the court is of the opinion that the defendant is a flight risk and there is no evidence that suggests he is a naturalised Guyanese.

Hence D’Aguiar was remanded to prison until June 19 when he will appear in the Bartica Magistrate’s Court.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here