Director-General of the Ministry of the Presidency Joseph Harmon has told the media that all oil companies with interests in Guyana continue with their operations as was planned before the passage of the no-confidence motion was passed. He said too that none of the oil companies gave the government any indication that they are worried over warnings sent out by Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo.
Last week, Jagdeo sought to put oil companies on notice that arrangements entered into with the APNU+AFC government “during this period” will be rendered illegal by a PPP government.
When he said, “this period” Jagdeo was referring to the space of time after June 18 when the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) ruled that the no-confidence motion was validly passed up until a new government is installed.
Also, Jagdeo said that “we will decide” what will happen to all the government did in the period from December 21, 2018 — the day of the no-confidence motion — to when the court finally ruled.
Yesterday, Harmon said that from all indications the oil companies are unfazed by Jagdeo’s “threats” that come like “fast and furious.”
Harmon told Guyana Standard, “We have not been advised by any of the foreign companies that operate in Guyana that they feel threaten by any such statement and, as a result of that, they decided not to do something which they had decided they will do.”
The Director-General continued, “I want to give the assurance to all that we have a President, we have a government that is functioning, and it is the responsibility and the duty of this government to ensure that there is an environment which allows for foreign companies to operate in this country under conditions of peace and security.”