A man, whom the court heard is wanted for the murder of Guyhoc mechanic Reginald Atherly called ‘Diesel Boss’, was moments ago slapped with two firearm-related charges and remanded to prison.

Marlon Bradley, also called ‘Maley’, was shot in the leg during a confrontation with police last Sunday. He appeared before Senior Magistrate Leron Daly in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

The 34-year-old of Goed Fortuin, West Coast Demerara denied both charges after they were read to him by the magistrate.

The first charge stated that on August 4 at Cornhill Street, Stabroek, Georgetown, he had in his possession a .32 pistol without being the holder of a firearm licence.

It was further alleged that on the same day and at the same location he had in his possession eight matching rounds of .32 ammunition without being the holder of a firearm licence.

Police Prosecutor Traceyann Gittens objected to bail being granted to Bradley on the grounds that he is wanted by the police for the murder of Reginald Atherly, 44, called ‘Diesel Boss’, who was gunned down in late July after reportedly being confronted by two masked bandits who had broken into his Lot ‘G’ 26 Guyhoc Park home. Atherly was shot in the head and right side, reportedly during a struggle with one of the intruders.

Bradley was represented by attorney-at-law Dexter Todd who asked that his client be released on bail. The lawyer told the court that his client was shot to his left leg by a cop and has been in custody for over a week. Todd argued that at the time his client was shot, he was in the company of his wife when he was confronted by an officer who shot him wrongfully.

Todd further stated, “ My client’s leg is deteriorating and the police at Brickdam Police Station turned doctors and poured methylated [spirit] on his leg which caused the wound to become infected.”

Todd went on to tell the court that at no time was a firearm found in his client’s possession and the police will have to justify why they shot his client, who he said was unarmed.

The magistrate, after listening to both sides, remanded Bradley to prison until September 6.

It was reported that police ranks on mobile patrol were in the vicinity of Stabroek Market around 21.00 hrs last Sunday when they spotted Bradley walking in Cornhill Street.

It was reported that a detective corporal and a constable approached the suspect who “whipped out a handgun” and pointed it in their direction. An officer then drew his firearm and discharged a round at Bradley, who fell to the ground. He was then picked up and rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

Police said they recovered a .32 Taurus pistol with eight live rounds from the suspect.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here