Guyana has recorded 12 new cases of COVID-19, taking the total of reported cases to 183. All the new positive cases for today are from Region One (Barima/Waini) which showed a 100% increase in their number of positive cases, says Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Dr Shamdeo Persaud.

“We have conducted 2048 tests so far with 1865 being negative. 102 persons have recovered to date. In institutional isolation we now have 69 active cases and 24 cases in Institutional quarantine. The number of COVID-19 deaths remains at 12,” he said.

An analysis of all the positive cases indicates: • 52% are males and 48% females
• The age groups with the most cases are the 20-29, 30-39 and 40-49; in essence we are talking about the adults. Of that groups the 20-29 has the highest number.
• Region 4 has 56% of the cases, followed by Region 7 with 16% and Region 1 with 13%. The 3 regions represent 85% of all the COVID-19 cases. The other 5 regions have 15% of the cases

The CMO said that conclusions from this analysis clearly indicate that there is a need for behavior change among the adult population especially men in the 20-29 age group.

According to WHO, there are 8,061,550 cases with 440, 290 deaths globally. In the Region of the Americas, the total number of positive cases is 3,899, 859 with 205,555 deaths.

This development comes one day after the National Covid-19 Task Force (NCTF) announced a phased reopening of the country.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here