A 32-year-old former Police Officer was this afternoon sentenced to 14 years’ imprisonment after he confessed to killing Sterling Products Security Officer Wilfred Stewart and Guyana Geology and Mines (GGMC) engineer Trevor Abrams.

Orin Arthur was initially indicted for murder but opted to plead guilty to the lesser count of manslaughter following a virtual appearance before Justice Navindra Singh at the High Court in Demerara.

He thereby admitted that on February 27, 2015, at Little Diamond, East Bank Demerara (EBD), he unlawfully killed Trevor Abrams.

The second charge alleged that on December 24, 2014, at Providence, EBD, he unlawfully killed Wilfred Stewart during the course of or after a robbery.

The third charge stated that on March 27, 2015, at the Diamond, EBD, he had 17 live rounds of .233 ammunition and 12 live rounds of .32 ammunition along with a .32 pistol in his possession without being the holder of a firearm licence. He pleaded guilty to the charges.

Meanwhile, Steven Prescott, called ‘Assassin,’ 49, of Covent Garden, EBD, is currently on remand awaiting trial for Abrams’ murder.

Facts of the matter stated that Abrams was gunned down along the Little Diamond Public Road, EBD. After the shooting, Abrams apparently tried to drive himself to a hospital, but he lost control of his vehicle and ended up in a nearby trench. A passer-by stopped and picked him up and took him to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre. He was, however, pronounced dead on arrival.

Meanwhile, Stewart was gunned down when armed men stormed the company’s Providence offices in December 2014.

During today’s court hearing, Arthur was represented by Attorney-at-law Dexter Todd, while Prosecutor Tyra Bakker represented the state.

Todd told the court that his client was the get-away driver when the crimes were committed. According to Todd, his client had followed the “wrong company.” He stated that Arthur has since learned it the very hard way.

“The accused that went into the prison is not the same person. He has made an impact on his life,” Todd added.

Throwing himself to the mercy of the court, Arthur said, “I should have known better and said no, but because I was young, dumb…I participated in this crime, and I have regretted every day, thereafter for my foulest actions.”

He added, “I am willing to participate with the prosecution, the court, and the family to ensure that justice is served.”

Meanwhile, Prosecutor Bakker informed the court that Abrams’ life was snuffed out for a measly $5M, while Steward was killed on duty at Sterling. She asked the Judge to let the sentence reflect the nature and gravity of the crimes.

Against this backdrop, Justice Singh sentenced Arthur to serve 14 years on each of the manslaughter charges and three years on the two firearm-related charges.

The Judge also ordered that the sentences run concurrently and that the prison authorities should deduct from the sentence the time Arthur spent in pre-trial custody.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here