Compton Fecker, also known as “Chappy,” pleaded not guilty to an attempted murder charge today, when his trial began before Justice Brassington Reynolds at the High Court in Georgetown.

The indictment before Fecker alleged that on March 19, 2015, in the county of Essequibo with intent to commit murder, he dealt Alvin Melville several blows to his head with a hammer.

There was also an alternate indictment put forward by State Prosecutor Seeta Bishundial.

Facts of that charge alleged that on the aforementioned date, Fecker unlawfully and maliciously wounded Alvin Melville in an attempt to maim, disfigure, disable or cause grievous bodily harm to him.

A mixed 12-member jury was advised by Prosecutor Bishundial that if there was not sufficient evidence to convict Fecker on the first indictment, they could consider the evidence as it relates to the latter indictment. Attorney-at-Law Adrian Thompson represented Fecker.

State Prosecutor Bishundial told the court that Fecker and Melville are known to each other since they reside a few houses from each other at the Parika Sea Dam. The accused is also the victim’s son-in-law.

According to the prosecutor, on the day in question, Melville, his wife, and his grandchild, were returning home about 12:30 hrs when the accused, who was armed with a hammer, attacked his father-in-law.

The accused reportedly dealt his father-in-law several blows to his head with a hammer. The victim collapsed to the ground and was later taken to the Leonora Cottage Hospital, where he was seen and transferred to the West Demerara Regional Hospital.

Due to Melville’s injuries, he was subsequently transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) and was hospitalised for five days. The first witness that was called was the victim’s wife, Selivina Melville.

She relayed that she went to a western union on the day in question and later stopped to purchase groceries. The woman said that after she purchased the groceries, she, her husband, and her grandchild took a taxi home, and while walking to reach her home, her husband was attacked by the accused.

The woman added that she immediately went to the police station and informed them of this development. Ranks went to the scene and encouraged Selivina to take her husband to the hospital, the court heard. This trial continues tomorrow morning.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here