Police are investigating a shooting incident committed on Rafael Hintzen, a 32-year-old Taxi Driver of East La Penitence, Georgetown, which occurred about 00:10 hours this morning (Wednesday) in Campbell Street, Albouystown, Georgetown.

Investigations revealed that the victim and one of the suspects are known to each other because they both share relationships with two sisters who reside at Campbell Street, Albouystown.

Information received from the 41-year-old mother-in-law of both the suspects and victim is that on Phagwah Day, her nephew sprayed water from a ‘water gun’ on one of the suspect’s friends, to which he (the suspect) was annoyed.

Subsequently, she and the suspect (son-in-law) were engaged in a heated argument when he threatened to ‘kill’ her.

At about 00:10 hrs this morning, the victim (Hintzen) was in his car that was parked in front of their home in Campbell Street, Albouystown, and his mother-in-law was inside the yard sitting on a chair when the suspect and three other men (all of whom were armed with handguns) came out from an alleyway opposite the yard and started to discharge several rounds in the victim and his mother-in-law’s direction.

The victim exited his car and ran into the yard where his mother-in-law, realizing he was shot in the foot, tried to pull him up the step to get him into the house.

In the process of doing so, the woman said that she saw the suspect (her son-in-law) and his accomplices running through the front gate in her direction, firing several rounds at her. The woman claimed that she immediately left the victim at the bottom of the stairway, ran upstairs, and closed the door.

The woman told police that the suspect and his accomplices did not further injure the victim when they caught up with him since she assumed that she was the intended target.

The suspects then ran back to a waiting car allegedly driven by someone on Campbell Street and made good their escape.

The victim (Hintzen) was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation by a relative, where he was seen by a doctor, examined, admitted, and is receiving medical treatment. His condition is stable.

Detectives recovered several spent shells and warheads at the scene. Several persons were questioned, and useful information was obtained. Police are looking for the suspects as investigations continue.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here