Casey Chapman, who is before the courts for allegedly possessing illegal guns and ammunition and committing an armed robbery, today led a defence, one week after the two men he was jointly charged with walked free.

Chapman, 27, a taxi driver, of 77 South Sophia along with Sheldon Andrews, 24, also a taxi driver, of 306 West Ruimveldt; and Adam McDonald, 30, a block maker of Amelia’s Ward Linden, were jointly charged with possession of illegal gun and ammunition charges.

The first allegation against the three men stated that on November 26, 2018, at High and Princes Streets, while being in the company of each other, they had in their possession one .32 Taurus pistol without being holders of firearm licences.

The second charge stated that on the same day and at the same location, the men had in their possession one 9 mm Glock pistol without being holders of firearm licences.

It was further alleged that on the same day and at the same location, they had in their possession 12 live rounds of 9 mm ammunition without being holders of firearm licences.

The last charge against the men stated that on the same day and at the same location, they had in their possession seven .32 ammunition when they were not licensed firearm holders.

It was further alleged that Chapman on July 5, 2017, at Grove, Access Road, East Bank Demerara, while being in the company of another and armed with a gun, robbed Marcia Maria Martin of a cellular phone worth $70,000, four ounces of raw gold worth $600,000, some $700,000 in cash, and other articles totalling $1.4M. The stolen items were the property of Martin.

However, the matters against McDonald and Andrews were dismissed last week on the grounds of insufficient evidence.

Today when the matter was called in the courtroom of Magistrate Rondel Weever, Chapman took to the witness stand where he detailed his version of events. Chapman told the court on the day in question, he was driving vehicle HC 6573 when he was stopped by McDonald who asked him if he was working.

He added that while they were conversing he observed McDonald with a haversack on his back. He proceeded to take McDonald to a location on High and Princes Streets. While there, Chapman told the court McDonald told him to wait while he left his haversack on the seat and exited the car. He added that shortly after he heard police vehicles and he saw McDonald walking hastily in the direction of his car. The police then stopped beside the car and they were subjected to a search. The officers found the haversack in the car in which they found the unlicensed guns and ammunition.

They were then arrested and taken to the station where they were charged with the offences.

After Chapman had finished giving his testimony he was subjected to cross-examination by Police Prosecutor Simone Payne. Chapman’s lawyer George Thomas then told the Magistrate that the defence has one more witness, who is currently unavailable. Therefore, he asked that the matter be adjourned.

The Magistrate after listening to both sides adjourned the matter until July 8 for continuation.

According to information, on November 26, 2018, police received information that three men were in a vehicle trailing a businesswoman from the Eugene F. Correia International Airport at Ogle. As a result, roadblocks were set up.

The court heard that ranks from the Ruimveldt Police Station were on the lookout at High and Princes Streets when they observed three men sitting in a vehicle. The men were reportedly acting suspiciously.

The ranks then approached the vehicle where they identified themselves as officers. A search was conducted in the vehicle and they found the articles mentioned in the charges. The men were all arrested and taken into custody.
In relation to the robbery matter involving Chapman, the prosecutor told the court that an identification parade was held and Chapman was positively identified by the victim.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here