Following a pit cave-in that claimed the life of a Troy Resources’ technician, the People’s United and General Workers Union (PU&GW), is holding the regulatory body, the Social Protection Ministry and the Australian company accountable for a series of “lapses” it claims gave rise to the tragedy at Karouni, Region Seven (Cuyuni/Mazaruni) last week.

In a statement to the media, the union said that the death of Ryan Taylor is serves as a grim reminder of the potential danger in mining as well as the need for strict compliance with safety rules by the employer and even more strict inspection and enforcement of safety standards by Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC), the agency charged and the Departments of Labour / Occupational safety and health under the Ministry of Social Protection.

“We hold those at GGMC and Ministry of Social Protection equally accountable along with the employer for the conditions of work which Ryan Taylor and his colleagues are subjected to working under,” the union said, noting too, that the entities were aware of the conditions at the pit.

“It was not unknown to them. In 2016, there was a severe wall failure in Smarts Stage 3 pit at the Karouni Mine. The Union reached out to GGMC and the Ministry time and time again, all to no avail, seeking their support and intervention to have the Troy company abide by the prescribed standards and laws protecting workers lives and safety or to put a halt to the unsafe mining practices.”

The union is also calling for a full investigation into the technician’s death.

“The union holds all involved accountable for a combination of lapses giving rise to circumstances surrounding Ryan Taylor’s death. The Union demands a full and complete investigation into the death and reiterates that we will not rest until justice is done and standard safety practices are implemented at the mine site, the statement read.

The union said that it will be lending all support to ensure the children and family of Taylor are adequately compensated.

Taylor lost his life last Tuesday after a section of the pit he and others were working in collapsed. By the time workers pulled out his body, he was already dead.

Please use pic of Taylor


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here