Three teenagers, who were caught on a widely circulated video snatching a man’s phone at Stabroek Market Square, Georgetown, were moments ago charged and remanded to prison for the offence.

Appearing before Senior Magistrate Leron Daly this morning were Daniel McArthur, Shawn Innis and Hurrcarlaus Harris, all 18-years-old.


Remanded to prison Shawn Innis


Remanded to prison Hurrcarlaus Harris

The first charge stated that on October 17, 2019, at Georgetown, while being in the company of each other, they robbed Ethan Mookho of two cellphones valued $298,000.

It was further alleged that Daniel McArthur, on October 11, 2019, at Georgetown, stole one handbag valued $5000, a phone valued $65,000 and $2000 from Juliette Wills.

The teenagers pleaded not guilty to the charges after they were read to them by the Magistrate.

Police Prosecutor Sanj Singh strongly objected to bail being granted to the teenagers on the grounds that the Mookho was stabbed to his back with an ice-pic during the robbery.

The Prosecutor also highlighted the fact that the teenagers were positively identified by the victims as the persons who robbed them.

He also told the court that one of the robberies was captured on CCTV footage.

The Magistrate, after listening to the prosecutor, remanded the teens to prison until November 29.

In the CCTV footage circulated on social media, seven young men could be seen walking in a group on Croal Street, Georgetown.

The men then observed a man standing in front of Ibet Supreme while using his phone.

In the video, two of the guys turned in the direction of the victim who was paying attention to his phone and not aware of what was going on around him.

One of the lads then used the opportunity to snatch the phone. They all then made good their escape. The victim and a security guard then gave chase.

However, later that evening one of the teens posted a photo on Facebook of himself and another friend wearing the same clothing that they had on when they robbed the man.

It was then that Facebook users started to compare the guys in the CCTV footage and the picture posted.

The matter was investigated and police were able to arrest the teenagers and place them before the courts.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here