It was quite a scene this morning outside the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts as teachers from across Georgetown protested as three persons who brutally attacked their colleague were released on bail.


The teacher who tried to defend herself from her attackers was also charged and released on bail.

Those charged are Sherwin Dalrymple, Kendace Peters, Soyini Gardner and teacher Tiffani Hinds.

They all appeared before Acting Chief Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

The first charge stated that on January 15, 2020 at St Agnes Primary School, at Church and Thomas Streets, Sherwin Dalrymple assaulted Tiffani Hinds, a teacher.

The second charge stated that on the same day and at the same location, Dalrymple provoked Tiffani Hinds with intent to insult or annoyed her.

The third charge stated that on the same day and at the same location, Kendace Peters maliciously damaged one dress valued $6,500, property of Tiffani Hinds.

The fourth charge stated that on the same day and at the same location, Peters unlawfully and maliciously assaulted Tiffani Hinds.

Soyini Gardner was also slapped with a charge which stated that on the same day and at the same location, she unlawfully assaulted Tiffani Hinds so as to cause her actual bodily harm.

It was further alleged that she unlawfully and maliciously damaged one single acrylic denture valued $12,000, property of Hinds.

The teacher was also slapped with two charges.

The first charge against her stated that on the same day and at the same location, she assaulted Soyini Gardner.

The last charge alleged that on the same day and at the same location, she provoked Soyini Gardner with intent to insult or annoy her.

They all pleaded not guilty to the charges after they were read to them by the Magistrate.

Facts presented by Police Prosecutor Quinn Harris stated that on the day in question, the angry parents went to the school to meet with another parent.

This was after two children were involved in a fight and one had to be rushed to a private city hospital.

The court heard the parents went to the school to meet with the parent to see how they can be assisted in paying the child’s medical bill.

However, while at the school, Dalrymple, Peters and Gardner accused the teacher of taking sides and they launched an attack on her.

The prosecutor added that in a video widely circulated on social media, Dalrymple is seen continuously kicking the teacher while she was on the floor.

The video also showed Peters and Gardner assaulting the teacher while two children dressed in uniform watched.

Prosecutor Harris strongly objected to bail being granted to the parents on the grounds that the attack was done in the presence of children and a strong message needs to be sent.

He added that if the court does not send a strong message, it is likely that more parents would want to assault teachers.

However, attorney-at-law Latchmi Rahamat who represented Dalrymple, Peters and Gardner asked that her clients be released on reasonable bail.

In relation to what the prosecutor said about remanding the three accused, the lawyer stated, “It seems as though the police and the prosecutor are on different pages because the prosecutor is asking for my clients to be remanded but the Guyana Police Force released my clients on their own recognizance (self bail).”

The Magistrate, after listening to both sides, released Gardner on $50,000, Peters on $20,000, Hinds on $20,000 and Dalrymple and $20,000 bail.

They are expected to make their next court appearance on February 10, 2020.

The teacher, after paying her bail exited the court compound with tears in her eyes as her fellow teachers hugged her and began shouting, “Justice needs to be served.”

The crowd remained outside the courtyard for about two hours as Dalrymple went to the balcony and began smiling and waving. The angry teachers then began to shout, “Shame! Shame! We need justice.”


Dalrymple, Peters and Gardner and some other family members were scared to exit the compound as the very vocal teachers were waiting for them outside the gate.

After a while, ranks at the court called for back-up and commander Thomas and a party of police officers arrived shortly after.

The commander and team then went upstairs to where Dalrymple, Peters and Gardner were sitting and escorted them into Principal Magistrate Faith McGusty’s courtroom.

While in the courtroom, they were escorted through the prisoners chute and escorted through the back gate of the courthouse where only magistrates and police officers are allowed access.

While outside, they entered a car which then drove off. By the time the teachers who were waiting at the main entrance realized what the police officers did, it was too late, as Dalrymple, Peters and Gardner had already gone.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here