Justice Brassington Reynolds this morning ordered that 43-year-old Alli Mohammed be further examined by a Psychiatrist before the court proceeds to impose a sentence on him for unlawfully killing his bedridden father.

The court is yet to fix a date for when he is to return. Court records show that Alli Mohamed has been suffering from a prolonged period of mental illness.

On June 29, 2020, Alli was arraigned before Justice Reynolds; he was indicted for the January 13, 2015 murder of his 83-year-old father, Mohamed Sulaymon. He pleaded guilty to the lesser count of manslaughter. The Judge, however, put off sentencing for the accused to today, so as to facilitate a probation report and other pertinent information relevant to sentencing.

According to the facts of the matter presented by the prosecutors, at the time of the incident, Sulaymon was bedridden while his son was known to have been suffering from mental illness, which resulted in him being violent at times. During January 2015, Alli Mohamed was living with his father and sister, Shaliza Mohamed, and her family at Lot 38 Parker Street, Providence, East Bank Demerara.

On January 13, 2015, at around 19:20hrs, Alli Mohamed was at home with his father, sister, and her family. During that time, Shaliza called Alli Mohamed to give him his medication. According to her, when her brother came , his eyes appeared “wild,” and before she could have given him the medication, he cuffed her to the head.

Her husband came to her rescue, and she left her home with her son to go and get help from the neighbours. When Shaliza left the house, her father, Sulaymon, was in his bedroom lying in bed. According to one Devon Persaud, on the said day, he was upstairs in his home when he heard someone shouting, “Mark, help, help, Alli killing his father.”

As a result, Persaud left his home and went over to Alli Mohamed’s home, where he saw him in the bedroom, beating his father with a piece of greenheart wood while he laid in bed. Persaud called out to the mentally ill man, and he came to him. This led to Persaud taking the wood away from him and carrying him downstairs.

Police arrived and arrested Alli Mohamed. His father was taken to the Diamond Hospital and transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC), where he later died. His cause of death was given as multiple injuries: multiple rib fractures with haemothorax, lacerated liver, fractured arms, bone, head, and cutaneous lacerations.

Alli Mohamed was represented by lawyer Ravindra Mohabir. State Counsel Teriq Mohammed appeared for the prosecution.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here