Months after Senior Magistrate Leron Daly discharged an attempted murder charge against businesswoman Maryann Daby, who was accused of attempting to kill a cop, the same magistrate has dismissed an illegal gun and ammunition matter against her.

The Magistrate recently ruled that the prosecution was unable to provide sufficient evidence against the woman in relation to both charges.

On July 18, 2019, Magistrate Daly discharged the attempted murder charge against Daby citing that the prosecution’s case was not credible due to the conflicting evidence led by Superintendent Gary McAllister; Police Constable Christopher Kissoon, the victim; and Police Constable John Holder.

The above named persons were regarded as the main witnesses in the case.

After the attempted murder matter was discharged, Police Prosecutor Richard Harris asked for the illegal arms matters to be transferred to another court for trial citing it would be prejudicial for the same magistrate who found Daby not guilty on the attempted murder charge to try her for two other offenses.

However, the Magistrate disclosed that she was advised to proceed with the trial.

Daby, 26, resides at 127 D’Aguiar Park, Houston, Georgetown.

It is alleged that on May 13, 2018, at the Guyana Motor Racing & Sports Club, Georgetown, Daby had a .32 pistol in her possession when she was not the holder of a firearm licence enforced at the time.

It was further alleged that on the same day, she had six live rounds of .32 ammunition in her possession when she was not the holder of a firearm licence enforced at the time.

She denied both charges and was released on bail pending trial.

According to reports, on the day in question, Daby and her friends were at the Guyana Motor Racing & Sports Club.

Constable Kissoon, who was off-duty and at the Club at the time, reportedly heard what appeared to be gunshots going off.

While checking for the source of the gunfire, he reportedly saw Daby firing rounds into the air and, as a result, he confronted her.

Daby allegedly became annoyed and pointed a firearm to his head and pulled the trigger. Fortunately, there were no more rounds in the gun.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here