Guyana’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic as established by the former David Granger-led administration is “fragmented and incapable of administering the public health, economic and social measures needed to keep the population safe”, a rapid assessment has found. To that end, the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) government has initiated a complete overhaul of the current public health response to the virus.
In a notice published in the Official Gazette, dated August 14, 2020, the government said that it has looked at the approached used in other territories, especially in the Caribbean, and has resolved that a multi-sector and multi-faceted approach has been the “most successful model”, with an aggressive policy of detection, contact tracing and if possible, isolation.
“Over the coming weeks, the government will engage each sector to develop clear protocols and guidelines based on the epidemiological evidence to keep people safe while allowing for a gradual reopening,” the notice said.
The administration said that it will continue to review its measures with the aim of modifying them as time progresses.
So far, Guyana has confirmed over 700 cases of the virus since it detected the first imported case back in March of this year. In five months, some 23 persons died from COVID-related complications.