The quick response of the Guyana Fire Service (GFS) averted a catastrophic situation at the century-old Fogarty’s building located at 34 – 37 Water Street, Georgetown.

The fire reportedly started at about 09:30 hrs this morning in the kitchen area of the building.

Sandra Narine, a tenant within the building, said that she went to work at about 9:30 am and noticed smoke but did not take it for anything, given that vehicles usually traverse the area a lot. But she was later told that the building was on fire.

Meanwhile, Fire Chief Marlon Gentle said that the GFS received several calls about 9:32hrs, informing them that the building was on fire.

Given the risk of a disastrous situation, Gentle said that fire teams from Central Fire Station, Alberttown Fire Station, West Ruimveldt Fire Station, and the fireboat were dispatched to the scene.

“When they got here, they encountered heavy smoke conditions on the lower flat with smoke seeking to the upper floor. We were able to go into quick attack mode and locate the fire in a kitchen. The fire was already spreading through the ceiling and going to the business area of the store.”

The Fire Chief revealed that the fire is believed to have been caused by a malfunctioned extractor fan. However, the fire was extinguished.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here