Opposition Member of Parliament (MP), Geeta Chandan-Edmond, has submitted questions for written replies, requesting clarity on several issues relating to the recent establishment of the Guyana Police Force (GPF)’s Corporate Communications Unit (CCU).
The Home Affairs Minister, Robeson Benn is expected to provide answers to the following questions:
1. Can the Hon. Minister state whether the recently established Corporate Communications Unit was created in accordance with the Standing Orders of the Guyana Police Force? If yes, can the Minister indicate which section was amended? If no, can the Minister state under which authority was the Unit established?
2. Can the Hon. Minister state whether the positions of the Director and Deputy Director were advertised and what criteria used in selecting these individuals?
3. Can the Hon. Minister provide copies of the terms of the contracts for the appointments of the Director and Deputy Director of the Corporate Communications Unit? Also, can the Minister provide their qualifications, duties, and responsibilities and state if other allowances and benefits are afforded to the Director and Deputy Director, which are not included in their contracts?
4. Can the Hon. Minister state what additional costs, if any, are attached to the services render [sic] by the Director and Deputy Director for which the Government of Guyana and, by extension, taxpayers are responsible?
5. Can the Hon. Minister state whether the roles of these new employees overlap those of police officers who have been trained and assigned to perform these tasks?
6. Can the Hon. Minister indicate, other than the Director and Deputy Director, if they [sic] are other civilians attached to this Unit? If yes, what are their qualifications, salaries, and allowances? Further, were these positions advertised, and what criteria used in selecting these individuals?
7. Can the Hon. Minister indicate, if any, how many police officers operate within this Unit?
8. Can the Hon. Minister state how many staff are assigned to this Unit?