A one-year-old baby died at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) yesterday after ingesting rat poison.

The little boy has been identified as Andre Tappin of La Grange Public Road, West Bank Demerara. His mother has since been arrested and will be charged with neglect.

According to information received, the woman sent her nine-year-old son to a shop in the village to purchase rat poison. The child then returned and placed the blue carbon tablets on a table in the living room.

The Guyana Standard has been informed that the deceased’s mother claimed that her one-year-old child picked up the rat poison from the table and ate a portion of it. When he started vomiting, his older brother called out for help.  The mother told investigating ranks that she was in her bedroom when the incident occurred.

While there are speculations that the nine-year-old boy fed the poison to his brother, a police source said that they have not received this report. The rank claimed that the table is small and the baby could have reached the rat poison.

The investigation is ongoing.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here