The matter involving businessman, Imran Khan, who is accused of attempting to kill a disabled man, continued this morning in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

This morning, when the matter was called in the courtroom of Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan, Special Prosecutor, Latchmie Rahamat, who was assigned by the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), told the Court that the victim was re-admitted to a private hospital yesterday since he suffered a seizure.

Khan, 31, of Austin Street, Campbellville, Georgetown, was not required to plead to the charge which alleged that on October, 28, 2018, at Main Street, Georgetown, he unlawfully and maliciously wounded Romario Balget, with intent to murder him.

He was denied bail by the Chief Magistrate on his first court appearance; hence, his lawyers applied to a High Court Judge to get bail. The judge also refused to grant pre-trial liberty.

According to the Special Prosecutor, Balget is currently at a private institution awaiting a CT scan since he has been suffering from multiple seizures following the incident.

Rahamat added that it is suspected that Balget may have suffered a fracture skull.

For this reason, she asked the court not to grant Khan bail due to the fact that Balget condition is not stable.

Attorney-at-Law Glen Hanoman, who is representing Khan, asked the court for bail citing that the Prosecutor has not provided any medical documents to support the injuries Balget allegedly sustained.

The lawyer went on to tell the court that he and other persons have seen the victim walking and partying in night clubs around Georgetown.

He added that it is strange that only when the matter is scheduled to be called the victim is hospitalized which is the reason his client is not being granted bail for the offence which is bailable.

The Magistrate, after listening to both sides, further remanded Khan to prison.

He was instructed to make his next court appearance on December, 10.

On the last court appearance, the Special Prosecutor had told the court that a medical procedure was conducted on Balget’s left side face since he received a ruptured vein and artery.

The Special Prosecutor had further stated that Khan had made several phone calls to the victim’s family asking them to end the matter.

It was reported that on October 28, 2018, at 02:00 hrs Balget and some friends were leaving the Palm Court night club when they were confronted by Khan who was standing at the gateway.

As a result, Balget walked between Khan and his friends; Khan became annoyed and dealt him several punches to his head and face causing him to fall to the ground.

It was while Balget was on the ground, Khan took a glass bottle and slashed Balget on his right side face.

He then continued to kick and cuff the victim while he was lying on the ground.

Balget, who was unconscious, was then picked up and rushed to a private institution where he underwent surgery.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here