Non-governmental organization, Saving Hands Emergency Aid (SHEA)—through donations—is helping to save the lives of two brothers who are in a critical condition after being burnt at their Corentyne, Berbice home early this month.

The children have been identified as one-year-old Besham Sohan and Gansham Sohan, four. They were transported to the United States of America over the weekend via medevac for life-saving treatment.

They were previously being treated at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) where the one-year-old was on a life support machine and the older sibling was in the Burn Care Unit. Both brothers sustained severe burns about their body.

According to information received, on August 16, last, the children were playing in their yard at Number 48 Village Corentyne when their mother reportedly started a small fire to chase away mosquitoes.

The Guyana Standard has been informed that the woman turned her back for a couple of seconds when one of the siblings threw dry grass on the fire, causing it to flare up. It caught on the brothers’ clothes.

They had already sustained severe burns by the time neighbours ran to rescue them. An update will be provided as the information becomes available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here