The driver in the fatal accident which claimed the life of a motorcyclist, along the Craig Public Road, East Bank Demerara, was today fined over $100,000 for traffic charges.

Quacy Decunha of Supply, East Bank Demerara, today changed his plea when he appeared virtually before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

He originally pleaded not guilty when he appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman but at today’s court appearance, he pleaded guilty to failure to render assistance and was fined $40,000 or eight weeks’ imprisonment; failure to stop at the scene after an accident, which he was fined $40,000 or eight weeks’ imprisonment; failure to report the accident, which he was fined $35,000 or eight weeks’ imprisonment; driving without a motor license, he was fined $20,000 or eight weeks in jail and driving an uninsured motor vehicle, he was also fined $20,000 or eight weeks in jail.

Magistrate Latchman sentenced Decunha to 48 months in jail for the charge which states that on January 25, 2020, at Craig Public Road, he dangerously drove motor car PVV 8691, resulting in the death of Dhanraj Budhram, 47, of Belle West, Canal Number Two, West Bank Demerara.

The Magistrate has since recused herself from the matter, hence it was before the Chief Magistrate.

It was reported that the father of five was killed in the wee hours of January 25, morning, after he was struck by a motorcar while riding his motorcycle on his way home at Craig Village, East Bank Demerara (EBD).

Reports indicated that Budhram, who was employed at Gafoor’s Complex at Land of Canaan, was traveling home, in the wee hours of Saturday morning, when motorcar PVV 8691, which was driven by Decunha, crashed into him on the roadway.

Decunha fled the scene after the accident while another motorcar driver, who witnessed the accident, recorded the license plate of the car involved and stayed on the scene until the police arrived.

Budhram was taken to the hospital but succumbed to his injuries, while receiving medical attention.

The driver who witnessed the accident, reported the matter to the police, while Decunha, six hours later, showed up with his lawyer and surrendered himself.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here