An unattended lit candle that subsequent fell and ignited nearby combustibles is said to be the cause of a fire at Lot 59 Cross Street, Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown, that has now left at least a dozen persons contemplating their next move.

According to the Guyana Fire Service (GFS), it received a call at 20:55hrs last evening and was alerted of the fire. Water Tenders 102 from Central Fire Station, 107 from West Ruimveldt Fire Station and 112 from the Alberttown Fire Station were immediately dispatched to the location.

The structure involved was a two-story wooden apartment building owned by 74-year-old, Jone Bowman, who occupied the top floor along with three others. The bottom floor, which consisted of two apartments was occupied by a total of eight persons.

As a result of the fire, the entire building and its contents were destroyed.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here