On Sunday morning, a disabled man, Romario Balget called “Short-boss,” was gun-butted and had his jaw broken by former wanted man, Abdul Imran Khan outside of popular entertainment spot, Palm Court, which is located on Main Street, Georgetown.

While armed with a gun, Khan kicked and trampled on Balget, who is short in stature and has a walking disability due to a medical condition. Persons who attempted to rescue the wounded man were also attacked.

The disabled man underwent surgery on his jaw this morning at a private hospital where he is still hospitalized. This whole incident, however, could have been avoided if Khan’s firearm licence had been revoked by the Guyana Police Force for shooting four persons, firing shots at multiple people and for gun-butting and assaulting countless people, according to police sources.

This morning, Divisional Commander, Marlon Chapman said that a person can have their firearm licence revoked for a number of reasons, including assaults. He however refused to comment on the past cases involving Khan but claimed that the matter with Balget is currently under investigation.

Crime Chief, Lyndon Alves could not be reached for a comment.

The Guyana Standard has been informed that apart from shooting and wounding persons, Khan, who is said to be a butcher, has been fingered in a lot of criminal activities including drug trafficking.

“He is the type of person who would hire someone to get rid of you if he has an issue with you and nothing ever happens to him because he is well connected among the big boys (senior policemen),” a detective said.

According to information received, in one of Khan’s assault cases, the detectives who had been investigating the matter were instructed to put it (file) aside “and focus on bigger things.”

“Khan has been assaulting people since the day he got his gun licence and the junior ranks cannot touch him. He even threatened to kill police ranks in the past,” the source said while adding that he was once tasked with investigating a shooting incident involving the suspect but was later told to drop the matter.

In March 2009, the GPF issued a wanted bulletin for the then 24-year-old Khan for a shooting incident which resulted in three persons being hospitalized after being wounded at an entertainment spot on Main Street, Georgetown.

In June 2010, Khan was charged with intent to maim, disfigure or cause bodily harm to Elroy Newton and he unlawfully and maliciously discharged a loaded firearm.

And, in September, 2010 another wanted bulletin was issued for Khan, who reportedly shot security guard, Marlon Shepherd to the left arm and knee during a confrontation at a popular entertainment spot on Robb Street, Georgetown.

According to information received, the suspect attempted to force his way into the night spot when he was confronted by the guard. A confrontation ensued and Shepherd was shot.

Khan was never convicted and many of the cases involving him have never made it to the court.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here