Two weeks ago, Justice Claudette Singh, Legal Advisor to the Guyana Police Force (GPF), recommended that Freeman Fordyce, the owner of the Diamond Strip Club be charged with assaulting a peace officer.

The businessman was seen in a video footage punching Police Inspector, Prem Narine to the neck when he (cop) tried to carry out a search on his person. The businessman was previously caught with an illegal gun.

In addition to the assault charges, Justice Singh recommended that Fordyce be charged with riotous behaviour and also, disorderly behaviour. Charges were not recommended for the policeman, who pulled his gun on Fordyce.

According to Justice Singh, Inspector Prem Narine’s action was justifiable. The file was returned to the office of the Crime Chief, Lyndon Alves on November 22, last. To date, the businessman has not been charged.

When contacted last night for an update on the case, the Crime Chief said that the file was sent for legal advice. He refused to state where the file had been sent. Police matters are known to be sent to either to the Force’s Legal Advisor, Justice Singh or the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Shalimar Ali-Hack.

The Guyana Standard has been reliably informed that Narine’s file was never sent to the DPP for advice. It was only sent to the Police Advisor. It is now unclear as to why the Crime Chief lied about the file and the reason for the businessman not being charged as yet.

Some senior police officials are claiming that this might be an act of cover-up since Fordyce is said to be friends with “very” high ranking members from the force.

On November 10, last the Inspector along with other policemen went to search the club after four Venezuelan women complained that the businessman seized their passports and threatened to kill them and their families if they refused to work at the club as prostitutes.

This revelation came to light when two of the entertainers escaped from the club. It was their statements that led ranks to carry out the raid.

It was when the police Inspector was carrying out a search on the businessman, that he (Fordyce) pushed him, rushed up to him and punched him to the neck—forcing the cop to pull out his gun.

In the past, Fordyce was charged for being in possession of an illegal firearm, trafficking foreign nationals and kidnapping a woman.

In March 2015, Fordyce was among two men charged with abducting and unlawfully detaining Rhonda Ward.

The charge stated that between August 27 and August 31, 2014, Ward was standing on Croal Street, Georgetown when the businessman pulled up in front of her and pushed her in the vehicle.

He then took her to a house in Alberttown, Georgetown where he and another man kept her for some time. And, in June 2015, he was again charged for the alleged kidnapping and attempting to murder Devon Chung on June 26, 2015 at D’Urban Street and Vlissengen Road.

The businessman was never convicted.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here