One month after the owner of a Diamond, East Bank Demerara Strip Club, Freeman Fordyce, was seen in a widely circulated video punching a Police Inspector to the neck, the businessman was this morning charged for the crime.

Fordyce appeared before Senior Magistrate Leron Daly who read him a charge for assaulting a peace officer and behaving disorderly in public.

The first charge stated that on November 9, 2018 at George Street, Georgetown, he assaulted Police Inspector, Prem Narine.

It was further alleged that on the same day and at the same location, Fordyce behaved in a disorderly manner.

He denied both allegations after they were read to him in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

Fordyce was represented by attorney-at-law Nigel Hughes who, during a successful bail application, told the court that the matter against his client and the police officer stemmed from a previous grievance.

He went on to tell the court that if bail is granted to his client, he man would adhere to any conditions attached.

While Police Prosecutor Sanj Singh did not oppose to bail being granted to Fordyce, he asked that conditions be attached.

The Magistrate, after listening to both sides, released Fordyce on $35,000 bail.

He was instructed to make his next court appearance on January 7, 2019 for commencement of the trial before Senior Magistrate Dylon Bess.

According to information, the Inspector along with other policemen went to search the club after four Venezuelan women complained that the businessman seized their passports and threatened to kill them and their families if they refused to work at the club as prostitutes.

This revelation came to light when two of the entertainers escaped from the club. It was their statements that led ranks to carry out the raid.

During the search, however, Fordyce punched the Inspector to the neck. The officer subsequently pulled out his gun to keep the attacker at bay.

The entire ordeal was recorded on a surveillance camera. According to a source, the Police’s Legal Advisor, Justice Claudette Singh subsequently recommended that the businessman be charged with assault, disorderly behaviour and riotous behaviour.

Fordyce was previously charged for being in possession of an illegal firearm, trafficking foreign nationals, and kidnapping a woman.

In March 2015, Fordyce was among two men charged with abducting and unlawfully detaining Rhonda Ward.

The charge had stated that between August 27 and August 31, 2014, Ward was standing on Croal Street, Georgetown when the businessman pulled up in front of her and pushed her in the vehicle.

He then took her to a house in Alberttown, Georgetown where he and another man kept her for sometime.

And, in June 2015, he was again charged for the alleged kidnapping and attempting to murder Devon Chung on June 26, 2015, at D’Urban Street and Vlissengen Road.

Despite the charges, Fordyce was never convicted.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here